Monday, February 25, 2008

Chapter 6: The Sun Hut and Ban Mae Yen

across Pai river from tourist-populated central Pai, is Ban Mae Yen, a small village at the foot of Wat Mae Yen, the temple on the hill.


there me and Thomas are greeted by wonderful staff of the Sun Hut. Quiet bungalows with a fantastic vegetarian restaurant. Ms. Kor, Ms. Nid, Melvin, Mr. Phu and Ms. Nui with their dog Oleang



Melvin is a unique kid. He speaks the best English I ever heard from 9 year-old Thai boy, very smart and knowledgeable with all things, (he and Lek together beat me on the game of scrabble), he plays piano and he sees ghosts.


Justin and Cosmo. First travelers I met since the meditation program ended. Experienced traveler of Pai and the Sun Hut from Melbourne, Australia. We sit and chat and play music (oh! I have been away from my guitar for three weeks!) the first night Thomas and I arrive. Cosmo (2 yrs) already speaks dozen of sentences in Thai, more than I ever got!


Nari and Mika, Japanese travelers and long term residents of Pai. We talk about our endless conflict between materialism, consumerism and spiritual, traditional values. Next to the Sun Hut is the Moon Village, a hippie commune for Japanese runaways who don’t want to fit in the box of our modern society.




This is my everyday meditation spot for the sunrise and sunset times, the temple on the hill, Wat Mae Yen is crowded with tourists who come up here to watch the sunset every evening. (above 2 photos by Taiwanese journalist Mr. Yang. www.pixnet.net/yang0902, www.appledaily.com.tw)


Just after the sunset, the stone stairway leads all 350+ steps down to the bottom of the hill, where I found a small cafĂ©/postcard stand. (to be continued…)

No comments: