Thursday, February 21, 2008

Chapter 4: Go Sangha!

we know we're not supposed to be socializing during our Vipasanna training... If the monk caches us, we're not chatting, we're just sitting near each other and talking to ourselves.
Go Sangha!, from L to R, Heather from Ontario, Canada, Mike from Charleston, SC, USA, Levi from South Dakoda, USA teaches English in Tokyo and met his girlfriend Natsusa from Yokohama. And where am I from? Always difficult question... perhaps I am a tourist from planet Earth.


Singaporean woman Ann and I started the program on the same day. Big smile, so much loving kindness projecting in the air.


Tui is from Bangkok, on his "escape from madness". This Vipasanna is his 3rd time. very talkative... in English and in Thai, where we're not supposed to be chatting, he would be eager to make friends with us.


Thomas from Germany is a serious practitioner who's been in the monastery on and off for 35 days... deeply in his thoughts, trying to figure out lots of things. He and I see each other on the library's balcony, share the silent hours of very focused meditation feeding each other lots of energy. I didn't know then, however, that we were going to make our way out of the monastery together, spend the first week in Pai and discover so much more about each other...


Heather wants the secret. "How could I get that enlightenment? Those monks seem to live so happily." well, she is the happiest looking practitioner out of all of us even when her crossed legs hurt so much. "Seeing you every day makes me happy." I told her "Maybe that's the secret."


Levi is one kind hearted soul. Helping his girlfriend Natsusa fitting into the program, initiating the sweeping fallen leaves in our living complex every morning, and always greeting to you with smile. On the night I ended my program (he had 11 more days) he gave me the sweetest congratulation message written on a fallen leaf.


Thomas and Heather discuss the mystery of human minds. Three of us made a plan to finish the program on the same day and go up to Pai together. But Heather changed her mind yet one more time to stay longer, didn't come to our closing ceremony. So next day me and Thomas hit the road to Pai.

No comments: