Tuesday, May 6, 2008

Chapter 39: Chotto Chotto, Cha-cha na!

‘I am a camera user.’ humbly she said to me on the first time we met. Her sincere attitude towards everything, to do her best always, or as she said to me once ‘Tem thee’ -face it with the full heart, is what makes her not only a great photographer, but many other things


Lek and I met in the morning of February 28th when I spontaneously stopped by at her shop on my way back from morning meditation. Her little shop of big happiness became my home for the next five weeks of life in Pai (see Chapter 7)


‘I ever worked in youth camp for many years.’ she proves herself to be amazing with the children. Skilled in keeping children’s attention, and yet always keep me initiative of all the educational volunteer works we’ve ever done


we have similar tastes of movies, music, literature and food, we think alike, we act alike, so it’s only natural we photograph alike


my photo


her photo


my photo


her photo


my photo


her photo. we constantly stimulate one another, allow us to be better, more careful camera users


‘Yey!’ March 17th she applied for her passport in Chiang Mai. although her heart belongs to those of travelers, for the last ten years she’s never had her time for traveling because her works at the shop in Pai, then before that at the Gold shop where she worked in Bangkok, always took up too much time of her life. So we spent the next two months together, traveling through Laos and collaborating on many projects.


‘Copy cat, 50 baht!’ sometimes as we take photos, one of us sees the other one taking photo of something then…


my photo


her photo


in any case we aren’t competitive. Rather, we recognize each other as a different kind of photographer, and respect and admire each other’s skill, passion and dedication into it. And no matter what we are trying to do with our craft, we always enjoy it, have lots of laughter


writing songs with Lek’s inspiration


‘Choto Choto, Cha-cha na!’ in our English conversation mixed together with Japanese and Thai phrases, she reminds me to slow down for her when I start talking rapidly (above 3 photos by Robert Walther)


in our effort to respect each other’s private time, and the importance of traveling alone, we decided to move apart in two different occasions in Laos, only to find out that we miss each other so much that we got back together by next day


month of May comes around and we are back in Thailand, down to the capital, down to touristy Banglamphu. Lek used to live in Bangkok for 10 years, working in a gold shop. Having the dynamics of contemplating her past and growing out of it must have taken so much courage


Unlike my ‘Prashod Prashan’ (satiric) journal photos, Lek’s photos have dreamy quality. below are only so few of many, my best favorite works by her






all these and so many more are now up in her new web site, visit www.rhanleklek.com, and if you contact her online you can purchase any of these in a beautiful postcard


Thank you Lek chan, we’ll do it again!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

thanks thanks thanks.
i don't know how to say very thank you.
i learned many things from you.
i feel lucked to know you.
all the time we spent together
i feel realy happy.
you changed my life.
thank a lot.
oxoxoxox

leklek